Pancake Day


Pancake Day is also known as Shrove Tuesday. It is the day before Ash Wednesday and starts the celebration of Lent. The history behind it is that they would make pancakes to use up the stuff in the pantry because during Lent you are supposed to abstain from sweets.

My husband and I try to remember when Pancake Day is and celebrate it. The first time we did this was after his accident and I had to take him to an appointment so I said that we should have pancakes for lunch. He said that we should have them after lunch. I was thinking that it would be too much to have lunch and pancakes so I went to the kitchen and got out my American cookbook and my English cookbook and show him both the pictures. That’s when I figured out their pancakes are different than ours.

The pancakes that they make are more like crepes, here is a good recipe for them. Typical fillings will be lemon and sugar or something savoury like sausage meat.

Happy Pancake Day!

All the Best!

American to Britain

Comments